All About Addiction
An addiction-related blog through Psychology Today written by UCLA addiction specialist Dr. Adi Jaffe: http://www.psychologytoday.
Collegiate Recovery Community Info
- Association of Recovery in Higher Education http://collegiaterecovery.org/
- Transforming Youth Recovery http://www.transformingyouthrecovery.org/
Drug and Alcohol Treatment
- The Camp Recovery Center, Scotts Valley: http://camprecovery.crchealth.com/
- Janus of Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz: http://www.janussc.org/
- Santa Cruz County Addiction Services: Recovery Wave is Santa Cruz County’s alcohol and drug abuse help page. Provides resources for alcohol and drug treatment, interventions and other services in the area: http://www.santacruzhealth.org/recoverywave/
News, interviews, opinion pieces, resources and more about substances, addiction and recovery: http://www.thefix.com/
There are several local meditation groups/meetings. There are also some great online recorded meditations created for people with addiction or substance abuse concerns.
- Alcoholics Anonymous has several weekly meditation meetings for those with concerns about alcohol addiction and abuse (www.aasantacruz.org, 831-475-5782).
- Mindfulness-Based Relapse Prevention (Several links to audio meditations and mindfulness exercises designed to help in recovery from substance abuse, located at bottom of web page; QuickTime software needed to play them): http://www.mindfulrp.com/For-Clients.html
- Rebel Dharma is a weekly donation-based meditation and discussion group at Insight Santa Cruz meditation center (http://www.insightsantacruz.org/category/weekly-sittings/) that is part of Dharma Punx Nation & Against the Stream Buddhist Meditation Society. The founder of this group has experience leading meditation groups for people with concerns about substance abuse and addiction.
- Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS): http://caps.ucsc.edu/
- Student Health Center: http://healthcenter.ucsc.edu/
- Student Health Outreach & Promotion (SHOP): http://shop.ucsc.edu/
- Student Housing Services: http://www.housing.ucsc.edu/
- Support Meetings: http://shop.ucsc.edu/students-in-recovery/find-a-meeting.html
Yoga for Recovery
Yoga classes in Aptos, San Jose and Burlingame that combine yoga asanas with 12 Step teachings: http://www.yogarecovery.com/